Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Recipe:: Shortcrust Pastry

It's no secret that we love to bake! I'm so pleased to be passing on a love of baking to my girls (and eventually my boy sitting in the back stalls there!)

For those of you who follow along here you'd know our kitchen makeover is now finished, so you'll notice these photographs are from a few months back! But this is a recipe we are using all the time! It's really basic but it's how we love to do it so I thought I'd share with you!

Shortcrust Pastry Recipe
Makes 1 30cm pie base

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
145g butter
2-3 Tbs iced water

I use my Breville food processor to mix the dough.

    

    

Method
1. Process the flour and butter in food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
2. While the motor is running, add enough iced water to form a smooth dough
3. Knead lightly then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
4. When ready to use, roll out on a piece of baking paper until 3mm thick. I like to use cling wrap over the top to prevent sticking.
5. To blind bake, peel off cling wrap and pick up dough. Spread evenly over greased pie dish and push into edges. Cut off excess dough. Place baking paper over the pastry and fill with uncooked rice.
Bake at 180'C for 10 minutes, then remove rice and bake for a further 5 minutes.

Note: If you want a sweetened base  for a dessert you can add 2 Tbs of caster sugar in step 1.

    

    

We love to use this recipe for lots of yummy baked goods. And it's perfect for little ones to help.

We've been enjoying adding this pastry to my roast vegetable frittata for an added element of yumminess!

                                                             Roast Vegetable Frittata Just For Daisy