Friday, January 20, 2012

Recipe: My Granny's Chocolate Cake

It's no secret that I like to bake! And Miss Daisy is fast adopting a love for baking herself!


This morning we made my Granny's Simplicity Chocolate Cake from a little church recipe book my mum gave her in 1984!


When my Gran moved into a nursing home last year a lot of her things were sold at a garage sale... Rummaging through the books as we set up for the sale I grabbed this recipe book at the last minute! I love that it has her notations through it!
Here is the easy recipe for a deliciously moist chocolate cake!


Ingredients:
3 Tbs butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup SR flour
2 Tbs cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk


Method:
Melt butter, put all other ingredients into large bowl and pour on butter, beat really hard for three minutes. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes. (I had the oven at 180'C for 40 mins)


BEFORE
AFTER
Allow cake to cool before icing.

Icing:
Combine 1 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbs cocoa, 1 tsp margarine or butter and 1-2 tsp milk well in a bowl.
Spread over cake and add sprinkles or desired topping!